Nav

Consumer Group Warns The Public About Hoverboard's Battery

By Anna Amad | Dec 08, 2015 11:54 PM EST

A consumer group in Australia is warning the public about the hoverboard catching on fire if its charging directions aren't followed. The group stated that these kinds of devices run on powerful lithium ion batteries that charge fast and can overheat and be the source of fire if left unnoticed.

The 'Hoverboard' is a self-balancing two-wheeled board that is portable, rechargeable and battery-powered vehicle. It consists of two wheels arranged side-by-side, joined by two small platforms on which the rider stands and an internal balancing mechanism. The device can be controlled once the rider's feet are on the built-in gyroscopic, censored platforms.  The hoverboard officially made its debut in China before being famous globally after it is featured in different commercial advertisements.

Watch video

Mr. Tom Godfrey, spokesman of Choice, reminded the public that it is very important to unplug the device from the wall socket once its batteries become full again. "Be responsible" is the main message he is trying to convey in one of his statements regarding the product.

London Fire Brigade also issued fire warnings about hoverboards that are being left unattended while charging. Over the course of 2 weeks, two incidents happened regarding a hoverboard that overheated. In one of the incidents, four fire engines and 20 firefighters attended to the fire that erupted on the bedroom floor of an apartment in Southwark. The owner recounts the events as something that happened so fast; he stated that he only heard a loud bang before the fire broke out. He considers himself to be fortunate enough that he was able to escape without getting harmed.

Hoverboards are also illegal to use in public roads -- that is according to the new policies published by the Crown Prosecution Service. Although it may seem like a nice way to roam around, the device is declared to be too dangerous to use whether on the road or pavement.

Latest Stories