iPad News 2014: Nickel in Apple Tablet Caused Boy's Skin Allergy, Study Says By Payton Guion firstname.lastname@example.org | Jul 17, 2014 08:52 PM EDT A boy suffering a skin allergy was told that the reaction likely was caused by nickel in his first generation iPad, which was found in a study published Monday by the American Academy of Pediatrics, according to Reuters. Two dermatologists, Sharon Jacob and Shehla Admani, worked for six months studying the severe skin rash on an unidentified 11-year-old boy. They concluded that his daily use of an Apple Inc. iPad likely caused the condition. On Monday, Apple defended the safety of using its products. "We have found that allergies like the one reported in this case are extremely rare," the company said in a statement. "Apple products are made from the highest quality materials and meet the same strict standards set for jewelry by both the U.S. Consumer Safety Product Commission and their counterparts in Europe. We rigorously test our products to make sure they are safe for all our customers." Watch video Despite the strong defense from Apple, Jacob and Admani found nickel in the boy's iPad. After putting a case on the tablet, the boys skin condition improved, the study said. According to the Mayo Clinic, Nickel is one of the most common causes of allergic contact dermatitis, an itchy rash that appears when skin touches a usually harmless substance. Nickel allergy typically is associated with earrings and jewelery but can also be found in coins, zippers, cell phones and, evidently, tablets. The study didn't say whether all iPads contain nickel or if it's just the first-generation models, like the one used by the boy in the study. But the doctors did say in the study that this was the first time an iPad had been reported as a source of nickel allergy in children. "With the increasing prevalence of nickel allergy in the pediatric population, it is important for clinicians to continue to consider metallic-appearing electronics and personal effects as potential sources of nickel exposure," the said in the study.