Mar 14, 2015 05:12 PM EDT
This year's Pi day is the most perfect Pi Day that you will ever experience in your life. Pi Day is celebrated every March 14 because 3/14 or 3.14 are the first three digits of Pi - the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter.
This year's Pi Day is something special because it is the first date in a century that represents the first five digits of P or 3.1415. To celebrate this perfect day, grab yourself a piece of pie and check out these fun Pi facts.
1. Pi is one of the most important mathematical constants that we know and it represents the ratio of any circle's circumference to its diameter. You can measure the circumference of any circle and divide it by its diameter and you will get Pi.
2. No one knows who actually discovered Pi but it has been known for more than 4,000 years. That means that Pi has been studies by scholars all over the world longer than many other important scientific and mathematical concepts.
3. An entire language known as Pilish has been developed around Pi. In the language, the numbers of letters in successive words match up to the digits in Pi. The language is known to many and an entire book was actually written in the language.
4. Albert Einstein was born on Pi Day. This could be why he was so amazingly smart.
5. The first 144 digits of Pi add up to 666. Does this mean that the mark of the beast will end up being a Pi symbol? Who knows but it is possible.
6. If you write 3.14 backwards actually kind of looks like PIE.
7. Star Trek has made use of Pi. In the episode "Wolf in the Fold," Spock defeats an evil computer by asking it to "compute to the last digit the value of Pi."
Some scientists believe that humans are programmed to find patterns in the world because it is the only way we can make sense of everything going on around us. While this may or may not be true, Pi has been one of the mathematical constants or patterns that have fascinated us for generations and will most likely continue to do so long after we are gone.
For now at least, it is time to celebrate. So have a piece of pie and enjoy the day. Happy Pi Day!
2. Aug 21, 2018
Study: Length of opioid prescription spell highest risk for misuse after surgery
3. Aug 06, 2018
NASA Introduces First Batch Of Commercial Astronaut Crew
4. Jul 31, 2018
Pair of colliding stars spill radioactive molecules into space
2. Jul 26, 2018
New system can identify drugs to target 'undruggable' enzymes critical in many diseases
3. Jul 26, 2018
Health benefits of moderate drinking may be overstated, study finds