Feb 15, 2017 04:12 AM EST
Since Canada's glacier and ice caps are melting at a really high speed, it has contributed to the rising of sea levels near arctic the most.
Irvine glaciologists at the University of California have found that the melted ices in Canada's Arctic glaciers are what making the sea level rise around the world. Phys has reported that in Queen Elizabeth Islands the percentage of the melted ice caps is super high. It has increased by an astonishing 900 percent from 2005 to 2015. It has increased on an average of three gigatons to 30 gigatons per year, stated in results published today in the journal Environmental Research Letters. "In the past decade, as air temperatures have warmed, surface melt has increased dramatically," said lead author Romain Millan, an Earth system science doctoral student.
The team also found that in the last ten years the ice mass has declined. Canada has the second largest part of Arctic ice, covering 23% of it they are after Greenland. According to UCI, the study has provided the long-term analysis for the event. The scientists and researchers even thought that the melting of ice caps in the Arctic was because of the release of water into the sea. That 'fact' was only used until 2005; they debunked it and learned the real reason.
The melting of ice was because the glacier surfaces were exposed to warm temperature thus melting it. That is accounted for the 90 percent ice loss. Before it only accounted for 48 percent and the remaining 52 percent was because of calving icebergs from glacier fronts into the ocean. It rose because of the continuous rise of the atmospheric temperature.
In the last few years, only some release of water from melted ice caps from few basins were at fault for the rising of sea levels. However, it was the short term increases of ice loss from these little basins that contributed to the higher rise of sea levels, said Millan.
1. Sep 11, 2017
2. Sep 10, 2017
Honey Bees Could Combat Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria
3. Sep 10, 2017
Apple’s Expensive OLED Handset, iPhone 8, Will Probably Ship After The LCD-Featured Models
4. Sep 08, 2017
Galaxy Note 8 Goes Through The Durability Test: A Recent Video Unveils The whole Fact
2. Sep 04, 2017
The Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 Could Feature The Snapdragon 836 SoC, Android 8.0 Oreo: New Leaked Screenshots Revealed
3. Sep 04, 2017
Brazil’s Environmental Policy Under The current President Michel Temer Creates Concern Among The Environmental Scientists
4. Sep 01, 2017
Apple May Bring The 6.4-inch OLED Display iPhone In 2018